The De Montfort School
Staff ICT E-Safety and Acceptable Use Policy
You are requested to use computer equipment in school responsibly and safely. We ask you to respect the equipment in school and be sensible when using it.
I agree to follow these rules when using the school network, learning platform, email and internet facilities:
· I will always keep my passwords a secret
· I will not attempt to gain unauthorized access to the school network or to any other computer system found on the Internet
· I will not attempt to log on using another person’s username and password with or without their permission. This also includes their email and the VLE
· I will never leave a computer logged on and unattended. Failure to do so may leave sensitive and personal data unprotected and easily accessible by other students and staff.
· I will not attempt to access another person’s files or personal information
· I will not interfere with, damage or vandalise any ICT equipment. If I do, I understand that I may be charged for the cost of repairing or replacing the equipment, over and above whatever other sanctions are imposed
· I will immediately report any damage or faults involving equipment or software, however this may have happened to a member of the ICT Technical Team
· I will not attempt to upload unsuitable, illegal or unauthorised files onto the school network
· I will not bring unsuitable, illegal or unauthorised files into school on any form of portable media storage device, including mp3 players, iPods, mobile phones etc. Any software installed on devices owned by the school must be installed by a member of the ICT Technical Support Team.
· I will not print unnecessarily. I also understand that any print jobs I send to the printers are monitored and recorded. I must ensure that no sensitive or confidential material which I have printed is left uncollected from a printer
· I will not use the school network to access any unsuitable internet sites, including games websites (other than educational games), proxy websites, pornographic websites, file download or shareware websites or social networking sites. No attempt will be made to attempt to bypass the school’s internet filtering system
· I will not use social networking sites to contact current students of The De Montfort School (for example, Facebook, Twitter, etc…). It is also recommended that adequate privacy settings for personal staff social media accounts are in place to prevent students from contacting staff via social media
· I will only use the internet for educational purposes. I will not use it for financial gain, for gambling or for advertising
· I will not use the school’s internet access to browse the internet for my own personal use during my contracted working hours
· I will not use Social Network Sites in school unless it is for educational purposes
· I will not engage in any on-line activity that may compromise my professional responsibilities
· I will not use my school email address as a contact for social networking sites, or other non-educational purposes
· I will take personal responsibility to check the copyright status of any material that I obtain from the internet, or post on to the internet
· I will ensure that I have permission to use the original work of others in my own work. Where work is protected by copyright, I will not download or distribute copies (including music and videos)
· I will not take information from the internet and pass it off as my own work
· I will report any misuse of the internet, unsuitable content or activities immediately to the appropriate person
· I will not attempt to release viruses, or carry out any other malicious practice that contravenes the Computer Misuse Act 1990
· I will abide by all other relevant government legislation concerning appropriate use of the internet
· I understand that my computer access in school is routinely monitored using NetSupport and Policy Central software. Internet and email access is also monitored on all devices connected to the school network.
· Staff wishing to connect their own personal devices to the school network (for example, laptops, tablets and mobile phones) must do so via the ICT Technical Team. If I want to connect a device to the school network, I understand that my device will also be monitored in the same way as a school device whilst connected to the school network.
· I will ensure that any data stored on personal storage devices (such as USB drives and external hard drives) are backed up and secure, and I understand that I am responsible for ensuring that this data is safe. The ICT Technical Team are only responsible for data stored on the school servers.
· I will communicate with others in a professional matter. I will not use aggressive or inappropriate language in internal and external email.
· I will not open any hyperlinks or attachments in emails unless the source is known and trusted. If I have any concerns about the validity of the email, I will contact a member of the ICT Technical Support team.
I recognise, understand, and agree to the following sanctions as consequences for unacceptable use of The De Montfort School network, learning platforms, email and internet facilities
1. A warning which may include a letter place on your personal file as well as an appropriate sanction, leading to disciplinary action.
2. The suspension of all network, Internet and email privileges on a temporary or permanent basis, leading to disciplinary action.
3. Referral to a member of the Leadership Team or Local Authority (who will then decide on appropriate action) or to other relevant authorities including, where necessary, the Police in the event of illegal activities.
Updated – August 2017